CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 13, 2008

I heard an apostle of God


Last night I went to the adult session of stake conference. This year our stake was truly blessed to have Elder Richard G. Scott speak to us. He talked about many things but as I sat listening my mind wandered. I thought of a dear friend of mine who is not of my faith. I wondered what it might be like to read the bible and the teaching of Jesus Christ. To hear his words in these sacred scriptures and want so much to follow him and the example he set. To hear about prophets and apostles, but then to look at this world and recognize that those things are not hear. How sad that would be. I felt that true miracle of what I was listening to. An apostle of Jesus Christ came to give me a message. I am truly grateful for this church and the blessings it brings into my life.


Today was the general session of conference. Ethyn went with me and sang in the Senior Primary Choir. To some this may seem like no big deal but for me it was a very touching moment. I hope Ethyn will always remember this day. He sang for one of the 12 apostles. Whenever the children sang, Elder Scott would come off the stand and stand just off to the right so he could face the children and look into their faces. As the children came off the stand to sit with their families he shook each of their hands. Oh, the humility of that wonderful man. After conference, Ethyn wanted Elder Scott's autograph. I hesitated but let him go. Ethyn waited patiently until he could see him. He asked Elder Scott for his autograph. Elder Scott put his arm around Ethyn and told him President Hinckley had asked him not to sign autographs but that if he wrote a letter to Elder Scott her would write him back. He asked Ethyn if he was going to go on a mission. Ethyn told him he was and Elder Scott told him that was a promise. It was truly a wonderful day.


It's pinewood derby time!!! After conference we watched 'Down and Derby'. Then Ethyn designed his car and Heath cut it out for him. Ethyn sanded it down so it's ready to paint. Of coarse, the other 2 kids felt left out. Somehow, Heath found 2 extra kits so Abram and Faith have their own cars too. It looks like tomorrows Family Home Evening will be painting Derby cars. Ethyn won lasy year with 'Old Glory'. He is determined to win again with. . .oh, it hasn't been named yet. I'll have to post pics of the painting.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

How funny! I wrote a similar post and when I finished I started reading other people's blogs and saw even the same picture of Elder Scott on your blog! I'll bet you enjoyed yesterday more than I did because Ethyn knows how to sit still for 2 hours.

wandering nana said...

I found it (it helped that you told me hehe) If Ethyn is like my children he will remember this experience the rest of his life. My 2 oldest girls were had the experience of having President Kimball wrap his arms around them to keep them warm. They still remember this and they were about Ethyn's age. It's also amazing to listen to those around us as that's where the General Authority's often come from. President Faust was my Stake President...President Monson was Mark's Aunt's Bishop. You never know.